Friday, August 2, 2013

After a Long Hiatus, It’s Thursday Up/Down!

After the French Toast{I think Paul liked the French toast this morning…}

{Also, isn’t he handsome?  I just love his smile}

Hey, hey!  It has been a long time since I’ve written a Thursday Up/Down post (November of 2012, in fact!).  And not surprisingly, I’m a day late, but I did start working on this post yesterday.  Does that count?  I think it should.

There’s so much good stuff to report this week, so let’s hop to it. 

Up!

* I started my new job this week!  Now that the offer letter has been signed, I can tell you that I’ve taken a research position in a lab in my old department.  Yes, I’m doing a second postdoc, which kind of shocks me, but the offer was too good to refuse.  This time, I’m working with worms, which is new and fun and exciting.  I have the chance to learn all about working with a new animal in a new field of research, and I get to do so without uprooting the rest of my life.  I’m still living in my old apartment, in the same town with my local friends and boyfriend and all the places I’ve come to love here in Texas.  So overall, I’m very happy about the new job.

* Yesterday, Paul and I drove to Houston.  I got to visit with my friend Courtney, while he had a practice session with his dance partner.  Courtney and I drank iced chai lattes at her favorite coffeehouse, lost track of time, ate a quick dinner at Newk’s, and then had to apologize to Paul for being late to meet up with him.

* And then, because I had today off, Paul and I had a lazy, lovely breakfast.  He suggested French toast, so we zipped over to Blue Baker for a day-old loaf of sourdough.  I made the French toast and some blueberry sauce, while he made his very first tofu scramble.  I used my basic French toast recipe but added some lemon zest to the custard, and it was great.  Afterward, we lounged on the floor in a food coma, I took silly pictures (see above), and we started plotting a move to Denver.  Maybe, eventually, we will return to the mountains…

* I enjoyed this post from Holly about fitness journeys and destinations.  When it comes to working out, I tend to be a “do something every day” person, but the something can be different every day.  For me, the day feels incomplete without at least a walk.

But I struggle a bit with training plans and rigid schedules.  I value flexibility—always have, always will.  I try to keep the big picture in mind when it comes to my goals, so I tweak things as I go along, knowing that the important thing is to keep going.  It’s with that in mind that I am still training for the Detroit Marathon, despite a summer of travel, some bad luck, and the joy that is August in Texas.

* I’m reading a fascinating book right now: The Creation of Patriarchy by Gerda Lerner.  Actually, I’m reading something like six books right now, which is ridiculous, but I love it.  I might write a post to share a few thoughts on my crazy reading life.

* My friend Ammie just went to Alaska, and she has been posting hilarious things on Facebook.  For example, there was this a few days ago:

That thing where you're late to dinner because there are moose in the front yard.

And the first comment:

Give it a rest, moose.

(I promise only to quote stuff from Facebook that is harmless and fun!  Forgive me the violation of privacy for the sake of the moose story.)

* Plums.  They are awesome. 

Down!

* So hot.  Welcome to August, y’all.  I’ll try to keep my whining to a minimum this month, but it is 100 degrees outside right now.  Just sayin’.

* Paul convinced me to buy some ground coffee this morning at Blue Baker, and I wish I could drink some now.  But it’s too late in the day for me to have caffeine, so I’m drinking herbal tea instead.

* I have recently discovered how to make a completely delicious vanilla ice cream at home without an ice cream maker.  This does not bode well for my waistline.  On the plus side: homemade ice cream!  Yeehaw!

* * *

Overall, I’m really happy these days.  Happy, well-rested, well-fed, and ready to return to work.  I’m good.

Happy weekend, friends.  I’ve got a boatload of posts in my queue, so I think you’ll be hearing more from me very soon.  Until then, be well. xoxo

1 comment:

Unknown said...

some of those downs seem like ups, so methinks things are good! :)