Sunday, August 25, 2013

Wine Notebook: Dry Comal Creek French Colombard 2011 Demi-Sweet

Dry Comal Creek 2011

Hey, friends!  Today I’m launching the Wine Notebook feature, which will be a semi-regular series of posts to bookmark wines that are worth remembering.  I claim no expertise in wine beyond my own consumption and conversations, but I do enjoy it very much.  My favorite wine person once told me that blogging about wine is a way of building “off-shore memory,” and I’ve always liked that as a metaphor.  Blogging is a great way of keeping notes on life.

Our very first wine of the series is a “French Colombard.”  Full disclosure: I have no idea what that means.  According to Wikipedia, “Colombard (also known as French Colombard in North America) is a white French wine grape variety that is the offspring of Gouais blanc and Chenin blanc.”  More interestingly, “[i]n France, it was traditionally grown in the Charentes and Gascony for distilling into Cognac and Armagnac respectively.”

(Yum, I love Cognac.)

True to its label, this white wine was on the sweeter side.  More sugary than a Sauvignon Blanc but less so than a Muscat, this bottle was delicious with the spicy Indian food Paul and I ate for dinner.  It was refreshing, but I recall it also lingered on the palate a bit longer than some of the dry white wines.  The label claims this wine is a “Texas Style” wine; indeed, the wine is made in New Braunfels, Texas, but I think the grapes may be grown elsewhere.  Modern hippie that I am, I like to buy local if I can, and this is a Texas wine I’d buy again.  We found it at our local Spec’s for about $18, I believe.

Cheers!

featuring Texas-Style Wines

2 comments:

Chrissy said...

I think I'll like this new feature very much! :)

Rosiecat24 said...

Oh, yay! Me too. Since I'm only reporting back on wines that I'd buy again, it should be a fun one to write :-) Up next: a peach wine!

Cheers to wine and blogging!