Sunday, January 29, 2012

Lessons from Sunday Night Dinner

Kale and Tools

Sunday Night Dinner

1)  Yes, you can make a raw kale salad with curly kale!  It may not be as lovely and delicate as the kale salads made with lacinato kale, but when living in a small town, one must make do with what the market has to offer.  I have yet to find lacinato kale around these parts, so until then, it’s curly kale.  A little chewy and very green, it satisfied a long-standing curiosity I had about raw curly kale in salad.

2)  Russet potatoes are the potatoes to use for oven fries.  I have been foolishly misled all these years.  No more Yukon Golds as oven fries.  It’s starchy Russets from here on out, with their delightfully crispy exteriors and soft, creamy interiors.

Hope your weekend was lovely, friends.

3 comments:

Raquelita said...

I am intrigued by this kale salad experience. I've usually only gone for kale in the form of chips or the occasional kale pesto.

Rosiecat24 said...

Hi, dear! Kale is awesome, isn't it? I think it's my favorite green.

I very loosely based tonight's kale salad on this one from Food52 . Like I said, it's probably better texture-wise with lacinato kale, so use that if you can find it!

Unknown said...

Mmm, I almost exclusively eat curly kale. lacinato is gorgeous, but for some reason the curls have me :) massaged with avocado and coarse sea salt or very lightly roasted in the oven with olive oil and coarse sea salt... simple is best!