Friday, January 20, 2012

A Friday List (Only the Best Stuff)

Wednesday Night with Nigella

Friday ahoy!  A few things on my mind today:

* A new friend in the kitchen, the lovely Nigella Lawson.  Oh, okay, we’re not friends in real life, but her new(?) show, Nigella Kitchen, has episodes on youtube.  I like to load a few shows on my laptop then drag it into the kitchen and listen to them while I cook.  It’s like Nigella and I are cooking together!  Awww, how cute.

* I really cannot get enough of these two albums: The Shepherd’s Dog (Iron and Wine) and The Harrow & the Harvest (Gillian Welch).  Such good listening on those two discs.  I’m pretty sure I’m repeating myself, but good music deserves to be repeated.

* New things to ponder, navigating a new bend in an old relationship.  Ruminating on the nature of love.

* Reading a book that is so, so good I’m afraid to read it too fast because then it will be over!  The book is All Things Shining: Rereading the Western Classics to Find Meaning in a Secular Age by Hubert Dreyfus and Sean Dorrance Kelly.  Chrissy wrote this week, quoting Annie Dillard, “How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives.”  This book is trying to answer the obvious and squirmy questions: how shall we spend our days?  And for those of us who have (sort of, kind of) settled on a path, how do we find meaning in the routine and ritual of everyday life?  How do we find the sacred amongst the mundane?

This book feels magical to me.

* Solving problems with patience rather than anger.  It’s faster and healthier for everyone.  Remember that list of money chores I mentioned last week?  After a rather focused effort, I’m down to just one item on that list, and it feels so good.  Money, I will do right by you and by me.

Weekend ahoy!  Make it a good one, okay?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like some good things on that list! hope this week is off to a good start as well :)