Thursday, May 31, 2012

Five Fun Things

Hola, mi amigos!  I hope this fine day is treating you well.  I wanted to pop in here to share a few tidbits with you, just for fun.  I’m having a good, if slightly unusual week, but unusual can be very interesting.

* Remember when I said that I wanted to submit an essay to The Chronicle of Higher Education about science postdocs, funding, and teaching?  Well, this week I did it!  My little essay was submitted on Tuesday, and I’m pretty excited because it’s only the second time I’ve submitted a science writing piece outside of research manuscripts and grant applications.  I love The Chronicle, and it would be so exciting to be published in it.

* I love, love, LOVED this piece about writing, or any other pursuit of greatness: “Bad Brain Days” by Rachel Toor.  Read it ASAP, especially if you are a writer.  And congratulate yourself for all your hard work on whatever it is you do.

* I’ve spent the last two evenings drinking wine with handsome men.  And it was really delicious wine, too.  I’m thinking of Shiraz in a whole new way now.

* I made Chrissy’s Starving Artist Red Lentil Dahl, and it was delicious.  I ate my dahl over rice and topped it with feta cheese.  Other nice topping options might be a cucumber raita or a squeeze of lemon.  Yum.

* I can’t stop thinking about Gretchen Rubin’s First Splendid Truth“To be happier, you have to think about feeling good, feeling bad, and feeling right, in an atmosphere of growth.”  I think this statement is deeply profound, and I’d like to spend some time here exploring what it means to me.  That last bit, “in an atmosphere of growth,” may explain a lot about my experience as a postdoc, which has been difficult yet wonderful in surprising ways.

No comments: