Friday, June 28, 2013

Then and Now, Plus a Milkshake

This was the view a few days ago, on the shores of Lake Huron.

Chairs Plus Lake

And this was the view this morning, in my bedroom in College Station.

Whoa

Welcome home!

I arrived in College Station late yesterday afternoon.  Paul and I had a date, starting at the airport in Houston and ending (sadly) this morning when he left to go be productive.  Me?  I haven’t done much along the lines of being productive, though I have tamed that mess above somewhat.  Whenever possible, I like to be a bit lazy after a long day of travel and I do the following:

* catch up on the latest Facebook news

* finish tallying money stuff from my trip

* do a load of laundry

* write a blog post!

And eventually I take a shower and restart the business of everyday life.  But before I do that, I want to mention something delicious I threw together after lunch: a great chocolate milkshake.  It’s another take on the frozen-banana-as-ice-cream trick, but this one is particularly luxurious with a generous pour of coconut milk.  My sister-in-law Amanda is dairy-free these days, and she’s a huge fan of coconut milk.  This shake isn’t quite for her because of the milk chocolate cocoa mix I used (mostly out of convenience, to be honest), but I bet you could swap in a tablespoon each honey and plain cocoa powder for good dairy-free results.

It’s good to be home, but I already miss Amanda and her coconut milk shakes.

Chocolate Coconut Shake

The Creamiest Chocolate Banana Shake

Serves 1 generously

1 frozen banana (“There’s always money in the banana stand!”)

1 cup almond milk

1/3 cup full-fat coconut milk

1 tbsp. Godiva hot cocoa mix, milk chocolate flavor

Place all the ingredients in a blender.  Blend until smooth.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

coconut milk is definitely the way to go :) glad you were able to ease your way back into the swing of things!

Rosiecat24 said...

Agreed! Is it crazy that I'm tempted to say that coconut milk makes a BETTER MILKSHAKE than ice cream? At least when combined with a frozen banana to add some cold sweetness to it :-)