Thursday, July 14, 2011

Thursday Up/Down

Asparagus Sign

I should be figuring out how to use Skype right now so that it’s all ready to go for a work thing tomorrow, but you know, I feel like goofing off.  I think it’s important to have enough time in your day or your week to play or explore or daydream.  Or write self-indulgent blog posts, if that’s your thing.  I haven’t had nearly enough time lately to goof off!  And it’s making me feel dull.  To cheer myself up, I thought I’d write another Thursday list, +/- or Up/Down style.  I wanted to write one last week and never got around to it, so this one feels overdue in my head.

On the Up side:

* It’s almost Friday!  I have to work (again) this weekend, but my workload won’t be too heavy (I hope), and I’ll (probably) have some time to relax.

* I discovered a holistic garden on my side of campus.  I’m totally smitten with it.  Do you think the gardeners would mind if I moved in?

* Four words: True Blood, Season Three.  Two more words: on DVD.  This season is, quite frankly, scaring the shit out of me, but it is so, so good.

* I treated myself to some new books from Amazon, and they arrived today!  On the coffee table: Tender by Nigel Slater, which looks gorgeous, delicious, and inspiring.  On the night stand: The Kid by Dan Savage.  Dan may be a gay man and a little too snarky for my taste, but I still think I have a crush on him.  He makes me laugh out loud, which is the best way for anyone to make me fall in love with him.

* I’ve started taking a shadier and more scenic bike route to work when I ride, and it really makes for a lovely morning.  This route is slightly less direct, but I feel like it’s worth the extra time.

On the Down side: 

* Oh, the heat.  I know it’s cliché and boring to live in Texas and complain about the heat in the summer, but I feel like the heat is creeping up into the temperature range that makes it almost impossible for me to bike home from work in the evenings.  I am so counting the days until October.

* I’m doing this experiment at work these days that makes my fingers ache as though they are arthritic.  Also, I may be going insane from spending too many hours in front of my microscope.  My labmates are urging me to take a “microscope-free” day, but I can’t!  I have data to collect!

* * *

I’d better go figure out this Skype thing.  Happy almost-weekend, dear readers!

3 comments:

Chrissy said...

We just finished season 3 of True Blood on DVD! I liked the season a lot. I haven't read the books, which keeps me from being disappointed in any of the changes to the story, since I don't know the story to begin with.

Bon Temps is actually quite close to Nacogdoches (fictionally, of course). Sookie listens to the same NPR station that we do - Red River Radio. It makes me feel a little closer to the characters, since their area is so similar to East Texas, minus the sexy vampires. (That I know of, anyway!)

And it is not cliche to complain about the heat in Texas. It is a necessity. The heat index has been between 108 and 110 for the last week and HUMID. I feel your pain.

Unknown said...

oh my, days behind the microscope are always tedious. be sure to give your eyes some rest!! and please do get some relaxation in this weekend :)

Rosiecat24 said...

Chrissy, how cool! You definitely have a regional connection to True Blood. I started watching the show shortly after I moved to small-city Texas from big-city Midwest, so I felt like Bon Temps was more similar to my new home than my old home. Southern, rural(ish), strong religious feelings among the locals--check, check, and check.

I'm trying, Shannon! I think I just finished my work for the weekend, which gives me a little bit of time to relax before the whole thing starts again on Monday morning :-) Hope your weekend is treating you well, my dear.