Saturday, January 16, 2010

Morning

I’m feeling inspired for a new writing project, one that’s low-key but fun and different.  I think a lot about writing, my own and other people’s.  Mostly I think about what I like and don’t like in written pieces.  In my own writing, I want more of the former and less of the latter, but sometimes they come as a package deal.  There is, I think, a certain grace that comes along with accepting your writing as it comes to you, the same way that a toddler will stumble and wobble while she’s learning to walk.  I feel like I’m still learning how to write, and I love that.

The other day I was clicking around my favorite sites, as I like to do when I’ve got some downtime, and I came across the art of seeing things.  This blog is a photo journal written by Shari, and I think it’s wonderful.  Her photos are stunning, and her prose are thoughtful and deep with their simplicity.  It’s an inspired combination, and I’ve been enjoying her archives, filled with art and food.

As a New Year’s project, I’m dreaming of capturing some of those small, lovely moments in my own life.  I don’t have a camera (yet!), but I want to try my hand at writing from a different angle, a different temporality.  My posts here tend to be written in the past tense—I did this, we did that—but rarely in the present or future tense.  Tense can have a big impact on the mood of a piece.  So can time of day.  I love the energy of pieces that other writers construct in the mornings, before they’ve headed out to start their adventures for the day.  I like the notes about drinking coffee, making pancakes, observing the morning light streaming through the windows, wishing for success and happiness that very day.  Morning is so ripe with anticipation.  I want to tap into that feeling.

For a few weeks, I’m going to challenge myself to write some posts in the morning, between breakfast and greeting the day’s challenges.  “Challenge” is the right word for it, as I’m slow and sleepy in the morning, and most days I’ve got a full docket of tasks waiting for me at work.  But I’m excited for it because I love a good experiment.  Let’s get started now.

* * *

It’s grey and splattery with rain in Texas today, but I don’t plan on staying inside.  I’m going to walk down to the natural foods store to check it out, something I’ve wanted to do since I arrived here in October.  I hope they sell wheat berries, as I’m craving their chewy heartiness.  I’ve got some wheat berry recipes tucked away in my EatingWell recipe binder—maybe I’ll look at them today to plan this week’s cooking.  For dinner tonight, I want to make my Baked Falafel Patties with Italian Herbs and Molly’s Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter.  I think the combination is going to be delightful.

My weekend is wide open.  I’m grateful for it.  I worked hard this week, so I’m looking forward to some relaxing.  Last night I made Ammie’s Chicago Diner Scones, making a few substitutions, and they were amazing.  I can’t wait to curl up on the couch with a book, a scone, and a hot mug of tea.  For my birthday, Matt gave me a copy of his book, which just came out.  I love seeing the landscape of his academic life, and I love how very different it is from mine.

I’m going to spruce up the old homestead here with some clean sheets, laundry, and taming the recycling.  Cardboard boxes are threatening to take over my dining room!  But I can’t bear to throw them out.  Into the recycling stash they’ll go.

Happy Saturday, friends.

1 comment:

Rosiecat24 said...

Ugh, note to self: the falafel patties and tomato sauce? Not so good together. Both are very tasty on their own, or with other things, but together they make my tongue unhappy. Better luck next time!