Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A Little Spring Cleaning

Things look a little different around here these days! I just love when a bit of cleaning and reorganizing makes a space feel fresh and new again; I am dying to treat my pantry to some spring cleaning. It occurred to me while perusing some new-to-me blogs that my blog roll was lacking a certain personality. I felt that it failed to reflect how I actually read and use those blogs. My cooking philosophy is about three-quarters health and a quarter hedonism—the perfect balance, in my mind. I wanted my blog roll to include some blogs that present fresh, interesting ideas for eating well and living healthfully. The blog roll is intentionally short; I want to present you with some leads to other food bloggers, who, in turn, have their own blog rolls. We’re just one big blogging, eating community. And I’m blessed to be a part of it.

A few of the highlights in my new and improved blog roll. Tina and Kath both keep (more-or-less) daily diaries of what they’re cooking and eating, so their blogs get down and dirty with the details of healthful eating. Tina seems to have a knack for unusual and delicious-sounding cookies that go beyond the usual butter-eggs-flour-sugar; I can’t wait to try her Peanut Butter Date Cookies and her Coconut Date Cookies. Kath’s blog gets me itching to eat a bowl of oatmeal and then go for a run. Her Oatmeal Brulee sounds like a wonderful way to start the day. I’ll report back if it’s a keeper for me.

Finally, on the decadent side of things, I keep returning to Molly’s Orangette for her lush descriptions of good food and good living. Her blog contains some of the best food writing that I’ve ever had the pleasure to read. Smitten Kitchen is an all-around useful source of recipes, including the delightful Stewed Lentils and Tomatoes over which I swooned not too long ago. And while the food comes first around here, a truly spectacular meal includes a glass of wine that enhances the meal and the mood. Asmodeus of The Caveat Emptyer Wine List puts his formidable palate to work for all of us, tasting and describing a wide variety of wines from all over the world. Asmodeus is the anti-wine snob; he’s all about teaching us wine newbies how to enjoy his favorite beverage. Thankfully, he tries wines that even us poor graduate students can afford. It’s wine-writing for the masses! Asmodeus also happens to be a friend of mine, so if you stop by his blog, tell him I said hi.

Happy Spring, everyone! May this season rejuvenate and energize your mind, body, spirit, and kitchen.

No comments: