Saturday, July 14, 2007

Summer Cooking Wish List

In celebration of the fleeting glory that is summer in the American Midwest, I have compiled a wish list of the recipes that I would like to make or food I would like to eat before summer ends.



FRUIT, SWEET AND SIMPLE

1) Rainier cherries (local grocery store)



SOUPS, COLD AND REFRESHING

2) Citrus-Buttermilk Soup with Minted Fruit Salsa (Passionate Vegetarian, pp. 176-177)
3) Lunar Gazpacho (putting my own spin on the original recipe published in Passionate Vegetarian, pp. 175-176)



DELIGHTFUL SNACKS AND SIDE DISHES

4) Just Peachy Salsa (July/August 2007 issue of Vegetarian Times, p. 86)
5) Sweet and Spicy Nuts (Real Vegetarian Thai, pp. 50-51)

BEVERAGES AND DESSERTS
6) Coffee Ricotta Mousse (Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home, p. ?)
7) Peach Parfait, (July/August 2007 issue of Vegetarian Times, p. 86)
8) Dairy-Free Peach Ice Cream (July/August 2007 issue of Vegetarian Times, p. 86)
9) Thai Iced Coffee (Real Vegetarian Thai, pp. 188-189)

Can you tell that the current issue of Vegetarian Times features an article about peaches? Can you tell I just bought myself a copy of Real Vegetarian Thai?

Why is there such emphasis on beverages and desserts? Is it because I have a sweet tooth? Or is it because summer features such glorious seasonal fruit that one ought to make a special effort to enjoy it?

This wish list will require me to make at least one special trip to find the Thai coffee required for Thai Iced Coffee. I am looking forward to the hunt! Chicago has a number of Asian shopping districts; I'm hoping the grocery stores off of the Argyle Red Line stop will carry my coffee so I can make it soon. Any Chicago denizens or former denizens have any suggestions about where else to look for Thai coffee?

No comments: