Saturday, August 14, 2010

An Afternoon Greeting

Howdy, friends!  Pardon my delay today.  I had a busy morning.  In fact, I don’t think I’ll be able to stop by this space until Saturday afternoon for the next month or two.  I have a new work commitment on Saturday mornings and I’m trying to get my errands done early in the day to avoid the worst of the Texas heat.

I have lots to share with you today!  I’m pretty excited.  First of all, look at this beautiful pink mineral salt I found at Brazos Natural Foods this morning.  I think it’s gorgeous.

Pretty Pink Salt

I tried to capture its sparkle for you, but I’m afraid I got more bag glare than sparkle.  I like the darker speckles in this salt.  They give it some personality.  And for the record, when I tasted this salt off the end of my finger, it tasted salty.  Which is good to know.

On Wednesday, we got a teaser of a rainstorm.  It consisted of little more than a few spittles of rain.  I ran through it on my way to the gym, and in hindsight I wished I’d walked as slowly as possible, to savor the cooling wetness.  When it rains here, it often brings some temporary relief from the heat, which feels amazing and makes me think I might make it through my first Texas summer.  Right now I think that question is up in the air, but I’m trying.  The clouds made for a subtle, lovely sunset that I couldn’t resist photographing, just to remind myself that there is always beauty around if you just look for it.

Hidden Light

I have a big announcement to share with you.  I wasn’t sure if I was going to let other people know about this, but I decided that I could share this news with you, dear reader.  I have started writing a second blog.  It’s called Feels Like Flying, and it’s a journal of my running adventures.  I post short summaries of my work-outs: what I did, how it felt, what my goals are, and random discussion about things like Food Network and the weather (always an important topic for an outdoor-loving athlete).  I don’t take myself too seriously on this blog because exercise, for me, is a way of escaping the stress of the day and reconnecting to my physical self.  I spend so much time living in my head that it’s essential for me to do things that help me remember that I’m a whole person, not just my brain.

A few of my favorite posts from Feels Like Flying are:

* A Starting Line (my first post!) 

* Waterbound

* Even on My Off Days

In other news, did you all see Shauna and Danny’s amazing video about their new book, Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef: A Love Story?  Wow.  That’s about all I can say.  It’s beautiful and inspiring, a tribute to good food and family and love.  Please watch it—I think you’ll enjoy it.

In other food bloggery news, my friend Laurie is back in the saddle, with eight new posts this month after being on hiatus since April.  Welcome back, Laurie!  Her post about braiding garlic is so fun and funny—do check it out.

Finally, I loved this Salon piece featuring a beautiful video encouraging all of us to enjoy the time we spend alone, with just ourselves for company.  I’m a firm believer in alone time, though I realize that not everyone is as much of a hermit as I am.  Still, the video and its poetry are so sweet and inspiring that I can’t help but smile whenever I watch and listen to them.

I hope your day is going well, my dears, and you make time to laugh and dance before the day is through.  See you tomorrow.

7 comments:

Laurie said...

Thanks Rose-Anne. It's so good to be back. Someday maybe I'll write about why I disappeared, and why I came back, but it's so hard to know what to share.

I love that you're doing a second blog. I'm on my way to check it out, but before I head over there I have to say that we're in sync again. This gal doesn't run, not even when chased, but just before I vanished I started a blog (loosely) about walking/fitness. It didn't hasn't gone anywhere yet, but we walkers are always a bit behind you runners, even if we start first. (Though maybe you started first - I'll have to go see.)

New work commitment sounds intriguing, but that could just be the opinion of the under-employed. Hope it's a positive addition to your Saturday mornings.

Laurie said...

Ooops, I forgot to mention I found new salt this week too. Maple Smoked Rock Salt. Mmmmm. Hooray for weird coincidence!

Rosiecat24 said...

Laurie, I can relate to your thoughts about sharing or not sharing your experiences. All I can say is that sometimes you find your boundaries by stepping over them. That and you can always delete a post that you wish you hadn't shared! One more thing: sometimes when I start writing, I realize that I am writing something for me, not for public consumption. And that can be very therapeutic and healthy--it's good to have a private writing life.

Hey, walk on! I think walking is fabulous exercise and I would never, ever dismiss someone who prefers walking to running.

Ah, the work commitment is nothing exciting--sorry! But I do have to restructure how I think about Saturday morning so that I can meet my responsibilities.

And ooh, your salt! That sounds delicious! Have you tasted it yet?

Laurie said...

Smoked salt on grilled salmon, smoked salt on potato salad, smoked salt on zucchini. Do you think we may be overdoing it?

Good to have your perspective on sharing. Thanks so much!

Rosiecat24 said...

Nah, you're just getting to know your salt!

I'm happy to see you writing again :-) Share what makes you happy.

Unknown said...

ooh, how fun! i'll have to check it out... i have just started getting back into running, with no foot pain so i'm extactic. even after one or two miles :)

Rosiecat24 said...

Oh, Shannon, that's great! You must be thrilled to be back on two feet. It's so hard to be sidelined by an injury. Take good care of those feet, lady!