Sometimes I think it’s good to grab inspiration by the ankles and drag it inside. I should be washing dishes right now, or buying groceries, or ironing clothes, but instead I’m writing another blog post. I can’t help it—I like it here! It’s fun talking to all y’all.
Things have been so serious around here that when I saw this post on lifelovepaper, I knew it was inspiration, knocking on the door. I invited it into my kitchen and saw all sorts of fun tidbits to share with you about my quirky cooking life. So just for today, a short and sweet post about cooking and eating in a messy, imperfect life.
* My sink almost always has dirty dishes or containers waiting to be cleaned out and recycled.
* I have two sets of measuring spoons. My favorite new kitchen toy is a spoon from Crate and Barrel that contains four spoons in one neat little utensil. The tablespoon flips to become a half-tablespoon, and the teaspoon flips to become a half-teaspoon. I love this thing.
* When I read a new cookbook, the first thing I look at is the desserts chapter.
* Even though it’s 90+ degrees F here most days, I roasted potatoes in the oven this week. And they were delicious.
* I don’t think of chocolate as junk food.
* I love living in a place where okra grows easily and abundantly.
* I wish I lived in a place where rhubarb grows.
* I really miss having people over to eat and can’t wait to have more cooking-and-eating friends.
* All of my tablecloths came from my mom’s linen closet. My cloth napkins were a gift from my sister-in-law and her family.
* Sometimes I feel like a grandmother trapped in a twenty-something-year-old’s body.
* I miss having a gas stove, but I think I’ve finally gotten used to having an electric stove in my new apartment.
* The other day I craved a piece of steak. The craving passed, but it was noteworthy.
* Sometimes I wonder if my love for cooking and eating will make me fat. So far, so good…
What’s your funny kitchen quirk? Got a bad habit you aren’t too shy to share? You’re in good company around here!
Off to clean up the kitchen…at least a little bit.