I should be figuring out how to use Skype right now so that it’s all ready to go for a work thing tomorrow, but you know, I feel like goofing off. I think it’s important to have enough time in your day or your week to play or explore or daydream. Or write self-indulgent blog posts, if that’s your thing. I haven’t had nearly enough time lately to goof off! And it’s making me feel dull. To cheer myself up, I thought I’d write another Thursday list, +/- or Up/Down style. I wanted to write one last week and never got around to it, so this one feels overdue in my head.
On the Up side:
* It’s almost Friday! I have to work (again) this weekend, but my workload won’t be too heavy (I hope), and I’ll (probably) have some time to relax.
* I discovered a holistic garden on my side of campus. I’m totally smitten with it. Do you think the gardeners would mind if I moved in?
* Four words: True Blood, Season Three. Two more words: on DVD. This season is, quite frankly, scaring the shit out of me, but it is so, so good.
* I treated myself to some new books from Amazon, and they arrived today! On the coffee table: Tender by Nigel Slater, which looks gorgeous, delicious, and inspiring. On the night stand: The Kid by Dan Savage. Dan may be a gay man and a little too snarky for my taste, but I still think I have a crush on him. He makes me laugh out loud, which is the best way for anyone to make me fall in love with him.
* I’ve started taking a shadier and more scenic bike route to work when I ride, and it really makes for a lovely morning. This route is slightly less direct, but I feel like it’s worth the extra time.
On the Down side:
* Oh, the heat. I know it’s cliché and boring to live in Texas and complain about the heat in the summer, but I feel like the heat is creeping up into the temperature range that makes it almost impossible for me to bike home from work in the evenings. I am so counting the days until October.
* I’m doing this experiment at work these days that makes my fingers ache as though they are arthritic. Also, I may be going insane from spending too many hours in front of my microscope. My labmates are urging me to take a “microscope-free” day, but I can’t! I have data to collect!
* * *
I’d better go figure out this Skype thing. Happy almost-weekend, dear readers!